We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Thinfluence examines the most up-to-date information about how various social and environmental factors can influence weight management.
Most people believe that losing weight is a personal responsibility that involves simply making healthier choices. However, the latest research suggests that external dynamics – such as family, friends, the workplace and the media – are equally important.
Renowned Harvard researcher Dr. Walter Willett and clinical cardiologist, Dr. Malissa Wood have teamed up to write Thinfluence in order to help people create an environment that promotes weight loss.
This doesn’t mean that there is no such thing as individual responsibility. However, sometimes even conscientious dieters can have difficulty making the best decisions if there are barriers in their daily life.
Thinfluence reveals how personal relationships, the workplace, advertising, and government policies are affecting our weight.
It suggests a three-step action plan to help readers identify how they are being affected.
This method can help you develop a strategy to ameliorate the impact of external factors. You will also discover how you can become a positive influence on the people around you.
Factors Affecting Weight Loss
Thinfluence highlights a range of factors that play a role in whether you will be successful losing weight. This includes:
- Inner Self and Emotional Balance
- Friends and Social Groups
- Improving Health in the Workplace
- Your Food Environment
- Your Physical Environment
- Government Policy
Your Circle of Influence
One of the ways Thinfluence attempts to categorize how different factors may be affecting you is by creating a “circle of influence” graph. This can help you identify the various influences that affect your ability to control your weight.
Readers are encouraged to begin with the factor that offers the largest opportunity for change.
For example, you may feel like starting with your family and home environment will have the biggest impact for you and your family. This may then give you the momentum to move onto other areas of your life such as your work situation.
How to Define Success
- You should remember that success is not just about losing weight.
- You may be able to achieve success by developing healthier relationships, enhancing the workplace environment or improving your blood pressure.
- These changes may become evident before you lose the weight and achieve all of your personal goals.
Having a Positive Impact
Ultimately Thinfluence encourages readers to share their healthy lifestyle changes with the broader community.
For example, a lot of people live where healthy foods are relatively unavailable or very expensive. It is still possible to have a positive impact in these situations. However, it generally takes a group of active individuals to make it happen, and change often takes a long time.
In this circumstance you may be working on these factors more for your children or your community than for yourself.
Costs and Expenses
Thinfluence: Thin-flu-ence (noun) the powerful and surprising effect friends, family, work, and environment have on weight retails at $25.99.
- Thinfluence addresses the variety of social and environmental factors that could influence your ability to lose weight.
- Encourages healthy lifestyle changes as a long-term approach to weight management.
- May promote healthier relationships and better communication with friends, family and colleagues.
- Readers can become a positive health-promoting influence in their community.
- Based on scientific research.
- Thinfluence does not include a diet and exercise plan.
- Readers will probably have to refer to additional material to learn how to choose healthy foods for weight loss.
- Results may occur slowly.
Enhances Chances of Being Successful
Thinfluence does not offer diet suggestions but instead focuses on positive strategies you can implement in your social environment.
The underlying goal is to set up your home, work and community so healthy choices are more easily accessible.
In turn this will enhance the chance of successful weight loss for you and others in your sphere of influence.
By Mizpah Matus B.Hlth.Sc(Hons)
Last Reviewed: May 6, 2017